Sunday, December 18, 2011

December 18, 2011 - Mung Bean Noodle and Playing with Fire

This is sort of a continuation of yesterday's entry about the food we bought at the Far East market on South Parkway in Huntsville. Esther cooked up the banana spring rolls (so very good) and also this:


What is this, you ask? Noodles. Magic noodles made from BEANS. That's Asia for you. Ketchup from bananas and noodles from beans. These are mung bean noodles before being cooked.

I'll come back to the noodles but first...

I like wasabi. That kick in the face of pain and awesomeness when you get just enough. It's no surprise that I also like dried wasabi peas.


Something else that I also really have deep emotional ties to is Sriracha Sauce, commonly known as "rooster sauce". One of my favorite websites has a cartoon about rooster sauce that I agree with on an atomic level. Go read it right now: Dear Sriracha a.k.a. Rooster Sauce - The Oatmeal.

Second to my beloved rooster sauce is banana ketchup and wouldn't you know it, I grabbed a fresh bottle last night.

If you know me, you know where this is going. There's only one logical conclusion here.

WASABI PEAS + ROOSTER SAUCE = FLAMING NUCLEAR NIRVANA

From upper left clockwise: rooster sauce, banana ketchup, wasabi peas
OMG THEY'RE TOUCHING!
The banana ketchup is not as hot as rooster sauce and slightly sweeter. It didn't really alter the wasabi experience. The spoonful of rooster sauce is another story. The wife was nice enough to capture the following sequence as it happened:

Here comes the airplane!

Ah, yes *munch* *munch*

Hmmm... yes, that's quite spicy but nothing I can't han-

SHAZAM!

It feels like Chuck Norris just kicked me in the sinuses.

Yes. I cried a little.
When I finally pulled myself off the floor and my vision cleared, the noodles were ready to eat.


By themselves they are kind of tasteless. The texture is chewy to say the least. Different from any any spaghetti or Italian pasta and nothing like ramen or even udon noodles. It wasn't bad by any means, but it was missing something...


That's more like it!


All the pictures here.

No comments:

Post a Comment